Cover photos make your articles more attractive to readers and beautifies your article in general. The issue is where to get cover photos for free for your articles, medium already has free stock photos from unsplash that you could use for your articles but they are sometimes repetitive among medium writers and you may be looking for new ones. I will be giving a list of resources of where you can get pictures for free, where and how you can edit these photos to make them more personalized.
Free Stock photos and Illustrations.
This has millions of stock photos, illustrations, vectors and even videos and music free for commercial use and non-commercial use. You also have the choice of crediting the creator but it isn’t compulsory.
This is a service by shopify that has free stock photos for use, it has different categories available and creator credits are available.
Unsplash has different categories of photos available for free, credits of the photo creator are available as well.
Freepik has a free and premium plan as well as free and premium photos. If you are using the free photos, attribution is required. The premium photos are the ones with the crown logos on them.
This has a library of free and customizable illustrations for use, no attribution required and you can choose the color of the illustrations.
On vecteezy, there are free stock photos, vectors and videos available, attribution is required also.
This is an amazing tool that is 100% free and updated weekly. There are illustrations and icons that are free, there are illustration packs available in different categories from finance to cooking.
This is an opensource illustration library, meaning it is free to the general public and also no attribution required at all. I got the cover photo for this article from undraw. It has different categories and it is my personal favorite.
Free image editors.
These are photo editing sites that allow you edit photos free and without watermarks.
This is a online photo editor and can also be used for simple animations, it also has stock photos available. It is very beginner friendly and quite understand. Just sign up for a free account and you’re good to go. This is my personal favorite.
This a free online photo editor, it is a similar to adobe photoshop but to be honest using this application on a computer has given me issues, I’ve had better experiences with it on my mobile phone.
Everyone loves canva, it’s an amazing software that you can use to create posters, flyers and anything really. You can use canva to edit images, you can add text and even change the colors of the images.
How to edit Illustrations in Pixteller.
This is a short and simple tutorial on how to make a cover photo in Pixteller.
- Sign up for a free pixteller account.
- Go to the “Editor” section of the page.
- At the left-side of the page there’s a section called “Design properties” set the preferred dimensions of your background, I used width: 3000px and height: 4000px, for the cover photo of this article.
- I save my illustrations in png when I download them. Back to pixteller, drag & drop the illustration on the background or just upload it. Then resize the image to fit the background.
- Use the “text” tool in the toolbar located at the left-side of the page and add a text to the image. Type your text in the text area on the toolbar.
- Position the text and illustration to your liking, then give your design a title and save it. Afterwards download it in your preffered format.
In conclusion, having a cover photo makes your article more attractive to readers and these are a few free resources made available for the public to use.